Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cultural Sundays.

I've decided that my Sunday drive to and from church (wedged in the back seat between Graham and Finley) will be a large part of my cultural lessons here in China.

Things I learned today:

1. Its okay to drive your bike on the freeway...against traffic--with a large cart attached---with absolutely no shoulder on the road.

2. As we were driving i kept hearing honking, I asked OJ if it was our driver. He said, "Yes, he's letting the other cars know that he's there." So every time a car came near us he honked. China is a well populated place...that's a lot of honking.

3. There are many toll booths on our way to church. The attendant hands you your money by a long pole and a fishnet.

4. Having church in a house provides the same opportunities for awkwardness as living/staying with a bunch of people you don't know very well. For example: A member of the branch presidency set me apart today in a bedroom (it is a requirement that the church meets in a home, so they have someone from the branch who stays there on the weekends and has the church be their home address...thus the bedroom) Or when I had to go to the bathroom so I climbed over a Primary class sitting on the floor having their lesson in the laundry room so I could get to the bathroom.


Good times my friends, good times.

I wish that I would've had my camera for some of these but I just can't seem to get on top of it as I pack entertainment, snacks, and lunch for 2 kids for 3 hours of driving and 3 hours of church. One of these days I'll remember.

For now I'm off to take a nap. I've got an hour until the dinner we were invited to and both children are asleep.

I sacrificed and used some of that time to blog.

You're welcome.

5 comments:

Tiff and Dan said...

i love your adventures!

Miki said...

Thanks for the sacrifice because this is SO GOOD! When I was on my mission I kept this little notebook entitled, "Only in Japan..." and every time I saw or heard funny things I wrote them down (pre-blogger, of course) but now when I go through it I just laugh and laugh. Like the woman who let us in to her home when we were tracting. I complimented her on her beautiful paintings hanging on the wall and asked if she painted them. "Yes, I painted them all watching Bob Ross on TV." Sure you did. My point is...keep doing this because it's a fun memory to have...especially when it seems normal instead of weird. (Does stepping over kids in a laundry room ever become normal?) Love you!

Alan and Jeni said...

I just love reading about your adventures in China. Thanks! You are amazing.

Cori said...

Wow! Sounds like church will be entertaining! It was good to see you guys...we miss you! That is awesome that Graham is motivated by a violin and that OJ took lessons!

Blake said...

Blake's parents were modern pioneers and set up the church in 3 different Washington cities back in the 60's and 70's. Blake's dad was branch president, and a week before he was killed they broke ground for their first meetinghouse. Before having a meetinghouse they met in their house or in an old cafe. One Sunday Blake (at probably age 8-11) was sick and not feeling well enough to go to sacrament meeting in his living room. He was sleeping in his bedroom and like many farm boys you sleep in just your underwear. He woke up and had to use the restroom and forgot sacrament meeting was going on and walked in on the meeting in his underwear! He always said it was hard to skip church when it was in your house :)
-Donalee (We love reading your adventures).