Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley


The world lost a beloved man last night. My first reaction was sadness but I am so glad that he is reunited with his sweetheart. He lost a part of his spark when he lost her. President Hinckley became the prophet when I was 13 years old. I feel like an era of my life is over with his passing.
In his honor I would like to share my favorite memory of him...
When I was at BYU-Idaho he came up to dedicate a building. All of the buildings were packed to hear him speak. I didn't have the energy to fight the crowds to get into the place where he would actually be so instead I went into another building on campus and sought a seat by myself where it would be broadcast. He began his talk with facts about BYU-Idaho, joked about taking away BYU's sports program too if football didn't shape up (it was a bad season :) he was funny and witty as usual. He then continued  in all seriousness to tell us how much he loved us. Although I had heard it before, I remember that this time was different. He said he loved us and then his emotions overtook him and he was quiet for several minutes as he cried at the pulpit. Finally when he could speak again he repeated in a cracked voice, "I love you". He continued on to tell us why but it is that moment that I will remember forever. Perhaps it was so memorable because of the time of life  it was for me and the things I was going through.  It could have been that he expressed exactly what we all felt for him. Whatever the reason my heart swelled and I shed silent tears as I felt we were face to face and he was telling only me. 
I love this man! He will be greatly missed but is in a far better place.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Tara--I remember that dedication too. What a neat experience! Thanks for sharing!--Lauren

Kamilla said...

Thanks for the reminder of that memory. I had almost forgotten... The love he expressed to all of us at that moment gave me a glimpse the love our Father has for each of us. -Kamilla