Here are the boys after just arriving in Hong Kong. We left our bags at the airport, took a 40 minute train ride to immigration to find out we had to come back another day. We then rode 40 minutes back to the airport to pick up our bags and took a 45 minute bus ride plus a 10 minute taxi to our apartment without a cart of any kind. I'm not quite sure how we did it. It was stressful to say the least.
Last night I had a little breakdown.
We don't have any gas in our apartment yet. We don't have a microwave yet. This means we have been eating whatever we can find. So far my meals have consisted of an egg mcmuffin from McDonalds, pizza from Pizza Hut. It was okay but I was ready for something healthy. Then we had a "hot dog" from IKEA. I had to close my eyes and hurry and eat it so I wouldn't throw up. Cream Soda came with it. It didn't taste anything like cream soda but the carbonation filled me up. Then we had KFC at the mall. Sick and nasty would be a good description of that meal. Last night was the kicker...OJ brought me home a Teriyaki chicken burger. Now this chicken didn't look anything like "chicken" but I took a bite anyway. It tasted like rubber. I spit it out and started crying....alot. Then the ranting and raving began. Who knows what I said. I was exhausted and starving. OJ being the patient husband he is...listened to me and hugged me and put me to bed. Needless to say, I felt much better in the morning besides the cramping in my stomach.
Today we get gas and a microwave and a little toaster oven. Let the culinary masterpieces begin....now if I could just think of what to make. :)
*Thanks for all your comments....keep em' comin'....you have no idea how much i look forward to reading them...its like Christmas*
15 comments:
I guess my breakdown upon arrival in Toledo doesn't quite match up with yours!! I'm so proud of you and really excited too. Do they have cereal there? :)
Tara you are awesome. We're all entitled to our little break downs - especially when you have just moved so far a way. Hang in there, before you know it, you're little apartment will feel like home.
How on earth did you make it with all your luggage? I think it is official that I have finally met Mr and Mrs Incredible!
Tara wow! I'm very impressed with your move. Just think in no time you'll have the city down and be loving Hong Kong! Yeah for Gas and a microwave! You've apartment view is amazing. Hang in there! I wish you the best.
Hang in there. Give Graham a huge hug for me. What a handsome little guy.
I totally read your blog, and hardly comment, but I can't imagine being so far from home and familiar things.. You are amazing to do that and with a baby! Way to go..
You poor thing! Things will get better. I think the breakdown was completely normal and justified! You are amazing!! Hey, will you go on my private blog and leave me yours and OJ's emails? Good luck and keep intouch!!
Love,
Lizz
You guy's are amazing! Good luck with all of the new adjustments.
Oh wow-the luggage?????? I get the comment thing too-that is the perfect way to explaine it-just like christmas-I hate when I dont get comments-ha ha. Is that your clothes washer in your kitchen or just a super fancy dish washer? Show us pictures of everything! Good luck with unpacking.
I think I may have broken down a lot earlier than you. To be honest I totally look up to you for being so positive through all of this. I wish I could be that type of person. Paul will just mention going to live in a different state and I freak out. I couldn't even imagine a whole different country. Hang in there and feel free to let lose on your blog anytime.
I love that you can do laundry with your right hand while cooking with the left. At the same time. Sometimes fast food is more than enough to cause a serious breakdown, especially in that weird jet lag transition phase when you feel like you could start hallucinating any minute.
XOXO
JonnyBoy
Hi Tara,
Shoot Grandma Ber and email and ask for food suggestions. I know that she has said that was what made China their hardest mission. I am thinking you might want to consider being a vegetarian. If you can find vegetables. and bread. The view is amazing. YOU CAN DO IT! We love you!
Do they have supermarkets there with normal food?
Alright cousins, this is Travis typing to you! I think we can relate a little bit to the way you might be feeling. Just so know the breakdowns are natural and you can get through them! Give yourself some time-- I think when we got off the plane here in Puerto Rico was when I really felt the weight of our decision. That good old Puerto Rico humidity hit me right in the face and I had a moment of clarity--my only thought was "What the crap did I just get myself into?" This thought has frequently returned to me and I am confident I won't find the answer to that question just yet. If I do I will pass on the info--For now I would just say I know you guys can handle whatever comes your way if you work together and keep a good attitude! We love you guys and I am looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your adventures!
Oh, my goodness. Yep, this post made me start crying, because, been there, done that! I just had to pop over and check out your blog as I was checking my e-mail tonight. So sorry it has been so rough, but it will get better - trust me, I've been through it. I'm so glad we could meet you today and you could meet so many friends so quickly. PLEASE let me know if you need anything, even if it is just a break from the house as Owen starts work and school.
Oh Tara, you are so much stronger than I am! That is amazing that you have had only one breakdown. If I was you I would be freaking out!!! No Harmon's, no Wal-Mart, ugh! It is sure funny what we get used to. Just keep up with the positive attitude, I know that things will become easier for you!
Post a Comment